Donald Trump rightly gets a huge amount of attention for his horrendous rhetoric. But his running mate Governor Mike Pence has actually done the kinds of reprehensible things that Trump only talks about. He may appear relatively harmless in comparison, but don’t let exceeding that very low standard reassure you.
In anticipation of tonight’s one and only vice presidential debate, a few things you should know about Mike Pence:
- He declared that state agencies would no longer provide state services to refugees whose country of origin was listed as Syria
- He signed one of the nation’s most draconian anti-abortion laws, which included requiring burial or cremation for aborted fetuses
- He said he wants to “send Roe v. Wade to the ash heap of history, where it belongs”
- He signed a law that would send same sex couples to jail to punish them for applying for a marriage license
- He signed a bill allowing businesses to discriminate against LGBT people under the guise of “religious liberty”
- In response to police shootings of several black men in one week, he said there’s “far too much of this talk of institutional bias or racism within law enforcement”
- He cosponsored a bill to deny citizenship to children born in the U.S. to immigrant parents
- He refused to comply with federal regulations designed to crack down on prison rape
- He voted against increasing the minimum wage
This is only scratching the surface, but it’s more than enough to show that like Trump, he has no business being anywhere near the White House. It’s additionally disturbing when you remember that Donald Trump has already more or less promised to hand off all the duties of the president to his VP.